JOHNSTOWN - A fire caused extensive damage to a two-story home on Water Street late Sunday afternoon.
No one was injured in the fire, from which a dog was rescued.
Johnstown Assistant Fire Chief John Duesler said today none of the five occupants of the 40 Water St. wood-frame building was home when the fire broke out at 5:37 p.m. Sunday.
Sitting on the back of a fire truck, Daylen Lathers of Johnstown, who lives in the house that burned, holds his dog Bailey, who was rescued from the fire by firefighters as a
paramedic gives him oxygen.
A firefighter shoots water on the house fire at Water and North Market streets in Johnstown on Sunday.
The Leader-Herald/Bill Trojan
The residence is owned by Trisha Isabella, although she doesn't live there.
Duesler didn't have a cause of the fire yet this morning.
"It's still under investigation," he said.
He said the fire was "going pretty good," but not fully involved, by the time firefighters arrived.
Occupants were displaced and the home is uninhabitable, he said. He said National Grid shut power off to the residence. It was unclear this morning whether occupants were being assisted by the American Red Cross or relatives, he said.
Duesler said none of the firefighters was hurt fighting the blaze.
He said black lab puppy was rescued by a firefighter from the first floor.
He said the fire broke out in the first floor, where three males and one female had resided. He said one male lived upstairs. He said the fire's origin was the southwest corner of the home, on the North Market Street side.
Within 20 minutes, firefighters had the blaze under control, Duesler said. Johnstown firefighters were backed up at the scene by the Gloversville Fire Department.
"The guys did a great job attacking the interior," Duesler said. "We had a little trouble gaining access to the attic."
The building sustained moderate heat and water damage on the first floor. There was moderate to heavy water and smoke damage on the second floor, he said.
Johnstown Assistant Fire Chief Don Biron said today a truck belonging to an occupant of the Water Street building caught fire and sustained damage. He said it was parked next to the burning building.
Also, Biron said fire damaged the roof area of a corner of a nearby two-family home at 310 N. Market St. He said firefighters put out that fire as well.