Electrical problem cited as cause of fire

BROADALBIN – Authorities say a fire at a home at 418 Honeywell Corners Road on Tuesday was caused by an electrical problem with the range hood in the kitchen.

Firefighters arrived on scene around 6:45 a.m. Tuesday.

One resident was home at the time of the fire and woke up to the sound of a smoke detector beeping. She entered the kitchen, where she noticed smoke and a radio on fire just above the stove, according to Fulton County Fire Coordinator Allan Polmateer.

The fire then spread to the cupboards above the range hood and to the bedroom on the other side of the wall.

No one was injured during the fire, authorities said.

Firefighters from the Broadalbin-Kenyetto and Perth volunteer fire departments were on the scene along with the Broadalbin Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Berkshire and Mayfield firefighters also responded.

Neighbor Bill Smith helped ensure that all the pets were out of the home.

Polmateer said the home remains habitable.

The victims received aid from the American Red Cross and Catholic Charities, Polmateer said.

By -