Kitchen fire does damage to home

JOHNSTOWN-A fire at a single-family home on North Perry Street was put out on Sunday afternoon, leaving some smoke and heat damage, but the house remains habitable, Fire Chief Bruce Heberer said this morning.

Firefighters didn’t have far to go to answer the call – the house at 243 North Perry St. is right across the street from the Fire Department.

Someone had left food on the stove unattended, Heberer said. The kitchen fire started around 12:45 p.m.

“Most of the damage was contained to the area right above the stove and the kitchen area,” Heberer said. “There was a lot of smoke and heat damage, but it is habitable.”

He said the fire was put out “in a matter of minutes,” and no one was injured.

Volunteers from the Northeastern New York Chapter of the American Red Cross provided emergency aid to two adults and five children who live in the home, a news release said.

The Red Cross provided the family with comfort kits and financial aid for food.

By -