Man dies in Gloversville blaze; another injured

GLOVERSVILLE – A house fire Wednesday night at 34 Fifth Ave. killed one man and left another man in intensive care at a local hospital, Police Chief Donald VanDeusen said this morning.

The fire claimed the life of Donald E. Larimore, 41, who was visiting the residence, and injured Marcus E. VanSlyke, 66, VanDeusen said.

VanSlyke was at Nathan Littauer Hospital this morning, VanDeusen said.

The fire began around 9 p.m. and severely damaged the first and second floors and the attic of the single-family home, said Fire Chief Beth Whitman-Putnam.

Whitman-Putnam said two adults and three children were living the house, but one of the adults was not at home during the fire.

Kevin Clark, a neighbor on Fifth Avenue, this morning said he and his wife were getting ready for bed when his wife noticed the fire and called authorities.

“That place went up fast,” Clark said. “The flames were coming through the downstairs window and then the whole thing was up in flames.”

Clark said at one point, the flames were reaching the sidewalk in front of the property.

He said children from the residence were outside the house screaming.

Clark said a neighbor brought an older man out of the house during the fire. Later in the night, firefighters brought out another person, he said.

Clark said he didn’t know the residents but said they rented the home. He said people visited the house regularly.

VanDeusen said the exact cause of Larimore’s death has yet to be determined. He said an autopsy was scheduled for later today.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, Whitman-Putnam said this morning.

She said New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control arson investigators have been called to help determine the cause.

Whitman-Putnam said no firefighters were injured in the fire.

She said the department received the call at 9:02 p.m. and firefighters were at the scene within minutes. She said firefighters worked to put out the blaze until 12:58 a.m. today.

The department contacted National Grid to remove live power lines that had fallen from the residence.

Whitman-Putnam said the department used three of its battalions to fight the fire and called the Johnstown Fire Department for assistance.

She said the Red Cross has been notified to help the occupants of the house.

VanDeusen said Larimore lived in Gloversville, but police did not have an address for him.

By -