Cuomo: State will help flood victims

ALBANY (AP) – The state will provide about $10 million to hundreds of flooding victims in the Mohawk Valley, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday in another promise to scrape together for aid what is a small slice of the state budget.

Cuomo promised details should be announced by today. He had said earlier that he and lawmakers were trying to find state aid for the victims after federal aid for individuals was rejected Monday.

Disaster areas were declared after flooding June 28-July 4 in Allegany, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Franklin, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Otsego and Warren counties.

In Montgomery County, the village of Fort Plain was hit particularly hard.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency decided this week that the flood victims weren’t eligible for individual grants and low-interest loans.

The amount of aid needed is small in a $135 billion annual state budget.

“The state will figure out a way to do it,” Cuomo told public radio’s “Capitol Pressroom” on Tuesday. “We’re not going to leave the homeowners hanging, period … if your house was flooded, this is a lifetime.”

Legislative leaders support action by Cuomo or by legislative approval, if necessary. But Cuomo said calling the Legislature back to session could take two weeks and cost the state tens of thousands of dollars.

By -