City water main break repaired

GLOVERSVILLE – A portion of South Main and Harrison streets remains under a boil-water advisory through at least Wednesday after a water main broke Monday morning, city Water Superintendent Chris Satterlee said.

Satterlee this morning said South Main Street from 366 to the Johnstown city line and Harrison Street from South Main Street to Industrial Parkway are under a 48 hour boil-water order. The advisory may be lifted by 6 or 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Water was restored to the affected section of the city by 7 p.m. Monday.

Satterlee said the Water Department will run two tests on water from the affected area 24 and 48 hours after the water was turned back on to test for any problems before lifting the boil-water advisory.

“The water is safe to drink outside of the [advisory] area,” Satterlee said.

“We just want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding during this brief inconvenience,” Satterlee said.

He said discoloration to water in the city was caused by sediment moving during the disruption in the line.

The incident, which occurred just after 10 a.m. Monday, flooded parts of the street near the intersection of South Main and Harrison streets. Crews spent Monday afternoon and evening cleaning up the mess and making repairs.

Water pressure on Monday was reported as lower throughout the city because of the break.

The break occurred while Water Department crews were replacing a hydrant damaged during the fighting of two fires in February.

The break caused nearby Park Terrace Elementary School to close at 1 p.m. Monday and cancel afternoon activities. Park Terrace reopened today.

Anthony Mendetta of the Water Department said at the scene Monday the department was trying to replace a hydrant between 7 and 9 Harrison St. The hydrant broke during the fighting of two fires Feb. 23.

The twin blazes at 397 S. Main St., the former Ted Thorne Lumber Co., and 3 Harrison St., known as the Harrison Street Warehouse, destroyed both buildings. The incident was ruled an arson, and no arrests have been made.

Mendetta said when crews tried to dig up the hydrant, a lead joint blew, rupturing the water main.

Satterlee said this has happened only one other time, to his knowledge, during a hydrant replacement. He said the age of the hydrant and infrastructure was likely the cause of Monday’s water main break.

Satterlee said the city has replaced around seven other hydrants so far this year.

An alert from city police on Monday said the break affected water from South Main Street to Hill Street and possibly other areas.

“When water service is restored, please be advised that you will experience dirty water for a while,” the alert said. “Make sure to let your cold water run for a while. Do not run hot water until cold is running clear.”

Questions about the boil-water advisory may be directed to the Gloversville Water Works at 773-4519.

By -