Trial for city man delayed

JOHNSTOWN – Jury selection was due to begin this morning at the Fulton County Courthouse in an attempted murder case, but it was adjourned until a later date.

Elijah P. Brown, 24, formerly of 13 N. Water St., Gloversville, was slated to stand trial before County Court Judge Polly A. Hoye.

But the trial was adjourned until a date, which was not specified yet by Hoye.

Brown was indicted Nov. 10 by a county grand jury on charges of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree burglary that causes physical injury, first-degree burglary with the use of a dangerous instrument, first-degree assault and criminal possession of a weapon, all felonies.

The length of the trial depends on the prosecution of Acting County District Attorney Chad Brown, who said Friday he plans to call about 15 witnesses.

“I would anticipate over a week,” Brown said of the trial’s length.

Elijah Brown is being represented by attorney Benjamin McGuire of Gloversville, who couldn’t be reached this morning.

Last summer, police were looking for Brown in connection with two home invasions on Spring Street in Gloversville.

Brown, who was staying at the 13 N. Water St. address, was wanted on a warrant that stemmed from an incident on April 15, 2015. Police said Brown illegally entered a residence at 48 Spring St. and allegedly stole property from the occupant at gunpoint. In that case, police said Brown allegedly threatened the woman with a handgun before stealing jewelry from her.

For that crime, he was later charged with felony first-degree burglary with a firearm, felony first-degree robbery with a firearm, felony third-degree criminal possession of a weapon and second-degree menacing.

Brown is going to trial for the attempted murder incident at 60 Spring St., Gloversville, police officers allege Brown entered the residence at 60 Spring St. on July 7 and severely assaulted a female with a large frying pan during a home invasion. Brown then fled the area, and evidence collected at the scene later linked Brown to the attack, police said.

Police said there was no prior relationship between the two, and it is believed Brown was “casing” the address prior to the assault. The woman had to undergo surgery following the attack, but survived, police said.

In August, Brown was apprehended by the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force in Kingston, Ulster County.

In a news release from November, Gloversville police said the indictment was the result of good police work supported by video and DNA evidence.

Michael Anich covers Johnstown and Fulton County news. He can be reached at [email protected].

By -