Rachael Mattice arrested on drug charges

MALTA – A Johnstown woman who allegedly faked her own disappearance earlier this year is facing additional charges for possession of a controlled substance following a vehicle crash in Saratoga County, according to state police.

Rachael L. Mattice, 24, was charged Thursday with two counts of having a controlled substance in a non-original container and two counts of seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance.

According to state police, Mattice was in a two-vehicle crash on Middle Grove Road near Boyhaven Road in the town of Milton at around noon on Wednesday.

The two-vehicle crash injured three people, according to a new release.

Mattice was issued an appearance ticket in this case.

Mattice made international news when it was reported she disappeared from her family’s camp in the town of Wells in June. Mattice arrived back at her mother’s home in the early hours on July 6 allegedly claiming she was abudcted.

Mattice was previously charged with falsely reporting an incident on July 29 and with petit larceny in Hamilton County on Aug. 5. She has pleaded not guilty in both cases.

Mattice claimed a man held her from June 23 until July 6. She claims the man kept her in a shed and assaulted her. She claimed the man blindfolded her and dropped her off approximately two blocks from her parents’ Burton Street residence in Johnstown.

Mattice told police she was knocked out while getting ready for work near the camp where she was staying in Wells on June 23. She said she woke up naked in a locked shed. She says she was repeatedly raped by a white male in his late 50s to early 60s who had a long, grey beard.

Police said a break in the case came when a witness came forward and identified Mattice as a woman he drove to a cabin at Canada Lake. Other witnesses placed her at a camp that belonged to a relative’s boyfriend.

During Mattice’s two-week disappearance, authorities and volunteers conducted a search. Family, friends and others conducted a vigil in Wells. People put up posters throughout the area and raised awareness about Mattice’s disappearance with posts on social media sites.

Police said the cost of the investigation was in the six figures.

The Leader-Herald will have more on this story in Saturday’s print and web editions.

By -