Two charged in fatal Gloversville shooting

Crime scene technicians and Gloversville police work together outside of 22 E. Pine St., in the city (below) where a man was found dead in an upstairs apartment. Police responded to a report of “shots fired” around 11 p.m. Monday night, but they haven’t confirmed the man was shot to death. (The Leader-Herald/Bill Trojan)

GLOVERSVILLE — Two people have been charged following the fatal shooting at 22 E. Pine St., in the city Tuesday, according to Gloversville police.

Officers said the following people were charged:

* Gary Terry, 22, of Nelson St. was charged with first-degree burglary and first-degree attempted robbery.

* Jeremy Potter, 26, of 22 Pine St. was charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property and criminal possession of a weapon.

Both men are being held for arraignment in city court.

Around 11 p.m. Monday, Gloversville police were dispatched to the area of 22 E. Pine Street for a report of shots fired.

Upon arrival, officers began an investigation into a possible home invasion.  Officers located the body of a deceased male, later identified as Robert W. Phillips Jr., 34, of Gloversville, in the upstairs apartment.

Officers said Phillips and Terry entered Potter’s apartment armed with a simulated pistol with the intent to commit a home invasion robbery.

“It is reported once they entered the apartment, Phillips approached a sleeping Potter and an altercation ensued between the two after Potter produced a revolver. During the altercation, the revolver went off, and Phillips fell to the floor,” police said “At this point, Terry had fled the area.”

Police said Phillips was later pronounced dead by Fulton County Coroner Maggie Luck.

Terry later turned himself in to police and was interviewed by Gloversville detectives.

During the course of the investigation, the simulated pistol was recovered and it was learned that Potter’s revolver was reported stolen out of Montgomery County in October 2016.

Mayor Dayton King said the city has video of Phillips and Terry as they went to the building on Pine Street and video of one man leaving.

“At this point, I’m happy to say there doesn’t appear to be any threat to the public,” King said.

Gloversville police and state police crime scene investigators were on the scene most of the day Tuesday collecting evidence and photographing the scene, which was taped off from just past South Main Street to Beaver Street.

Neighbors in the area said they did not hear anything Monday night. Many said they were unaware anything was wrong until they saw the flashing of emergency vehicle lights.

The Gloversville Police Department would like to thank the members of the State Police, the Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the Forensic Identification Unit for the assistance they provided along with the residents who provided information leading to Terry’s arrest.

By Chad Fleck

Leave a Reply