Consider the consequences

It is unlikely we will ever know why a family in rural Jefferson County, W.Va., took the risk they did during last weekend. None of them — a man, woman, teenager and toddler — survived.

Their bodies were found Sunday, along with a generator that was being used inside their home. Carbon monoxide gas from the machine appears to have killed them.

Equipment such as the generator should never, ever be used indoors. It and malfunctioning heating equipment can produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide within less than an hour.

Carbon monoxide has been called “the silent killer.” But detectors for the gas are available, and they produce loud alarms.

If your home does not have the detectors, consider getting some — and never, ever disregard manufacturers’ warnings about equipment such as generators.

By Patricia Older

Leave a Reply